January 18, 2009

Hallstrom's Log, Earth Date January 18, 2009

Snow continues to fall outside the house on this cold January day. I just finished watching a video with Abby on this lazy, Sunday afternoon. One thing that we both share is a common love for movies. We love to watch a vast array of different types of movies together. Sometimes we disagree on what to watch, but for the most part we watch and enjoy the same types of films. Today, we watched the Al Pacino and Robert De Niro film, "Righteous Kill."  

Some of the movies that we disagree on are movies that I love to watch--horror, comic book, action and science fiction movies. I try to get her to watch some of them by telling her that some of the things are so good that they are big, box-office champions such as "Iron Man," for example. Others, she will voluntarily want to see because some of her friends liked the movie, i.e. "The Dark Knight." It frustrates me sometimes that she doesn't want to see some of the movies that I want to watch, and I sometimes have to put off watching them so that I can appease her and spend time with her.

There are a lot of movies that I am looking forward to seeing in 2009. 

One of the first films I am looking forward to seeing is "Watchmen," which is based on a graphic novel by Alan Moore and comes out in early March. I have not yet had the chance to read this book but many in the comics community praise it as being one of the all-time great graphic novels. From what I have seen from the special effects and seen from features on t.v. shows, the movie looks pretty awesome and supposedly stays true to the theme of the book like "Sin City" did. I doubt that Abby would want to see this film purely because it is a so-called geek film.

The next film I want to see if "X-Men Origins: Wolverine." Now, being such a huge Buckeye, the only Wolverine that I can stand is a mutant comic character. This is another film that I don't think that my wife will see with me. She did make an effort to watch the third X-Men film with me on DVD so I have to give her points for that. But, her not being a comic fan, I doubt she would be able to keep her interest in the film.

The following week, the next film I am anticipating will be released. It is J.J. Abrams' new vision of the "Star Trek" franchise. I will admit, that I am a huge Trekker. I am not as big as one to put on the uniforms every weekend and go to conventions and such, but I am indeed a fan. The franchise created by Gene Roddenberry has inspired me over the years and driven my imagination. I am looking forward to the film, which looks to have spectacular effects and utilizes original Spock actor Leonard Nimoy in a cameo role to tie the film to the original series. It will also tell the story of how the "Original Seven" Enterprise crew members first came together. I am sure that I will not like some of what Abrams is going to change with his story but I am glad that a new Star Trek adventure is coming out. Abby probably will not see this with me as she won't even attempt to watch the older films with me on DVD.

Later in May, "Terminator Salvation" will be released. Starring Christian Bale of Batman fame, the story continues the adventures of John Connor, only this time, the story takes place after Judgment Day and shows the adult John leading humanity in a fight against the machines. This is one that Abby might watch with me because together we watch Fox's "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles."

In early June, Will Ferrell's "Land of the Lost" comes out. Although they are changing a lot of what I loved from watching the 80's/90's version, I am looking forward to returning to the land and watching the humans fight the evil Sleestaks along with avoiding hungry dinosaurs and befriending primates. This is one that Abby will probably see with me because we both love Will Ferrell films and are sure that this will be a hilarious movie.

At the end of June, "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" comes out. The story is a sequel to the Transformers film that came out a couple of years ago. I am just thrilled that it will be hitting the screens and I hope that there is more of a focus on the robots rather than the human characters. I am hoping that things that have appeared online are true and that we'll see the combiner-robot Devestator on the screen. Also, giant robots destroying things always makes for enjoyable good times. I would say that it would be 50/50 that Abby watches this one with me because she did see the first film with me but I don't know if she truly enjoyed it.

In mid-July, the delayed "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" finally hits the screen. This series was first introduced to me after I began dating Abby and she got me into reading the books so I am sure both of us are looking forward to this film. This is the next-to-last story of the Harry Potter books but there will be two films remaining as they are making the final book into two films. 

In August, the biggest movie that I am looking forward to is scheduled to be released. That movie is "G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra." G.I. Joe was my favorite toys to have as a child. I loved watching the series on t.v. and read the comic books. Until late summer of 2007, I kept most of my G.I. Joe toys in my aunt's basement. I sold them on eBay before we moved into our house so that we could have some money to pay on some credit cards that we had huge debt on. I still have my comic collection and the G.I. Joe titles are hot right now, including the rare final issue, which I own. Right now, it is worth $85 ungraded and I am hoping to eventually have it graded and sold for much more one day. G.I. Joe was a favorite as a child because I was a Navy brat and grew up on and around military bases. I am hoping that the movie stays somewhat faithful to the comic but from some of the casting decisions already made, I can see that they are changing a lot in terms of the appearances of some of the characters. Regardless, I still have high hopes for this film and hope that the film delivers. I doubt Abby will want to see this with me but we shall see.

In October, one of my favorite books to read as a kid becomes a big-screen movie.  That book is "Where The Wild Things Are." The book was a great read with tremendous artwork that blew my seven-year-old mind. To this day, it still blows me away. Abby will probably see this with me as she is an early-childhood teacher, yet she has admitted to me that she still has never read the book. She does have a toy of one of the creatures in her classroom and got the Hallmark ornament at the post-Christmas sale.

These are just some of the big films that I am stoked to see this year. I am sure others will be released the pique my interest and I will see them together with my wife. I am sure that "He's Just Not That Into You" will become our Valentine's movie to see this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment