January 4, 2009

Hallstrom's Log, Earth Date January 4, 2009

My wife convinced me today to start a blog saying that she felt it would be good for me to have an outlet to express myself. So, I finally agreed and she helped me to create this page.  

As I am getting ready to turn 30 next month, I feel that I should be more introspective about my life and share my thoughts and opinions. It's weird that I am getting ready to celebrate such a big milestone. I feel younger than I am. In some ways, I'm still a kid at heart.  

There's a lot that I want to talk about on this blog including general thoughts on life, thoughts about The Ohio State University Buckeyes and other things.

To start things off, I am looking forward to tomorrow's OSU game against Texas in the Fiesta Bowl. This is OSU's fifth bowl game since 2003 in Arizona and I have yet to venture out there to support them. I am jealous of all the people who are able to afford such trips. It has been since I was a student that I was able to afford to go to a bowl game and I miss the fun and exciting times that I used to have as a student. As a student, I got to attend the OSU vs. Texas A&M game in the 1999 Sugar Bowl in New Orleans and I got to go to the 2002 Outback Bowl in Tampa to see OSU take on South Carolina. They were fun trips that I got to attend with friends and fellow Buckeye fans.  

I am hoping that the Buckeyes can prove their national critics wrong and finally win a big, prime-time game. I hope that the Buckeyes can beat the Longhorns to take a 2-1 advantage in their series that started in 2005 and 2006. I had the opportunity as an usher to see the 2005 game in person at Ohio Stadium and it was a classic showdown with Vince Young, the 2005 Heisman Trophy winner, guiding his team to a victory against the Buckeyes in a late drive. The next year, I watched on television as Troy Smith, the 2006 Heisman Trophy winner, lead OSU to a victory over the Longhorns in their stadium. This game possibly features two future Heisman trophy winners in Colt McCoy and Terrelle Pryor. It will be interesting to see what happens. Both sides concede that Texas has yet to face a defense as good as OSU has and both sides admit that the OSU defense has yet to face an offense as good as Texas. I think that the OSU defense will give up some big plays but overall should be able to slow Texas' high-powered offense. I think that Texas' defense will give up more big plays to OSU's offense including a huge running game led by Chris "Beanie" Wells. I think that Texas will be worried about trying to stop Pryor's running ability and not blitz as much, giving Pryor plenty of time to look for his receivers down field. Hopefully, that will lead to OSU utilizing their tight ends more than in the past and hit some short pass plays that will lead to big YACs (yards after completion).  

We will see what happens, but I always try to remain optimistic going into the games. It's only when the game goes downhill that I start to really worry.  

Anyhow, that ends my first blog. Hopefully my next blog will be upbeat in nature with a Buckeye victory.

Go Bucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment